Thursday, November 11, 2010

Week 10: Woah

Nothing too crazy to write home about this week.
I had a good Monday, a rough Tuesday, and good Wednesday so far.
Today, I started with our group class being contortion specializing in shoulders and backs with Caroline teaching us. She's SOOOOO knowledgeable about flexibility, it's wonderful. The only thing was, because i'm relatively flexible, I was doing the "if you can do that easy, add ______ to deepen the stretch" versions of everything, but my ability to hold them for long periods of time isn't great. I will hopefully improve that endurance with time, but I definately learned some new awesome back stretches.
I also had my weekly private with Jamie today on trapeze (slowly becoming my specialty apparatus here at necca I believe). We focused on velocity skills (skills that are dynamic motions around the bar, things that are done more than once in a circular manner around the bar) and release moves (skills where you have to let go of the trapeze before finishing the trick).
During velocity skills we worked on my ever-failing mill circles (I need to break the habit I've now developed of bending my front knee before I give myself a chance to get up). Then we worked on BACKWARDS front hip circles (so now, I can start doing forward flipping front hip circles, and then pause in the middle of one, and reverse the direction of the flip.) It's really awesome, but it gave me some really awkward invisible bruises on my upper forearms near where my elbow rests on ANYTHING.
Then, during the release moves section of the private, we worked on the uber cool "beat twist to ankles".
This is where you hold on to the bar with your hands, swing your body back and forth, and on the forth, you bring your body so high up that you let go of the bar, twist around in the air, and catch the ropes by your ankles. I love it and I can do it now, I just need to clean it up and finesse it a bit.

Anyway, this weekend is WORKSHOP WEEKEND (a whole bunch of amazing teachers from NECCA and elsewhere come to teach a weekend full of workshops). I'm signed up for Single Point Trapeze with Francois Gravel, and Stretching for Backs and Shoulders with Francois Gravel and Michael Lanphear. I'm excited for both. It shall be wonderful. I will definately try and get video/pics to go with my experiences this weekend.

1 comment:

Shana said...

I want to see a video of the beat twist to ankles! Sounds great!