Saturday, September 25, 2010

THE LAST 3 WEEKS Pt. 1

So I'm going to break the last three weeks down into smaller chunks of readable content.
Here's pt. 1:

Moving into Brattleboro September 2nd was quick and easy. My best friend Sari helped as we drove from Boston to Montpelier in one car, grabbed more of my stuff, including my mattress, and then drove the truck from Montpelier to Brattleboro. I like my apartment. It's cute, enough room for me, my bed, some walking space, and my eventual sewing studio (which is how I intend to make my money this year). It also has an ample kitchen area where I've been enjoying cooking meals of modestly epic proportions :)

The first weekend here was kind of lonely, since I hadn't met any of the other people in the program yet, except I knew Trevor, and I knew Lauren both from Smirkus.
Lauren is conveniently living a few blocks down on the same street as I am.
Trevor is living at the "NECCA HOUSE" which is a building owned by Elsie (co founder of NECCA)'s husband Jim. He rents rooms out to NECCA students. Trevor lives in an apartment with: Shannon (Intensives program), Anthony and Christina (a couple from Alaska, in Pro Track), Christi (my new best friend, from Texas, in Intensives), and Stacy (a stripper from all over, pro track).

On the first Monday here, Christi, Trevor and I decided to go to the Guilford Fair where NECCA was performing throughout the day. We ate "Mexican food" (aka, a Vermont lady who put hot sauce on rice with onions and cheese, and saw some good acts. I finally met the bald guy whose head Cat stands on, his name is Henry Wheaton, and he's utterly fabulous. and Clara (Pro track last year) performed double aerial sling, which was très encroyable.

At 4, Intensives finally met as a group for our Orientation. Our year was vaguely mapped out, and hopes and dreams were discussed, followed by a tour of the school, and info about how to be at the school. It seems like an interesting group of people from vary different circus and life backgrounds.

The next day we didn't have anything during the day, but I had my Advanced fabric class at night.
Let's have a moment about this. about 16 people are in the room getting ready for the Intermediate/Advanced fabric class. It's a mixed level class taught by two teachers, so they are hoping to split us up into Intermediate and Advanced. Out of the 16 people that were there, eventually it has become me, and 2 other girls in advanced, and everyone else in intermediate. Caroline is the advanced fabric teacher and she is KICKING MY ASS, and i hate and love it. The good thing, is super good coaching with so few people, the bad thing is, there's almost never an excuse NOT to be up on the fabrics, because it's not like you're waiting for your turn.

I've found that teaching beginner level circus all summer has made me sadly lose some of my strength for more advanced level tricks, which I essentially didn't get to train all summer. I'll get them back soon enough, but these first few weeks are going to suck.

No comments: